BBSM says FORCE secy not qualified to debate on MoI
Panaji: Aravind Bhatikar of Bharatiya Bhasha Suraksha Manch (BBSM) has said that Savio Lopes of the Forum for the rights of children’s education (FORCE) is not qualified enough and does not have any experience in the field of education, and so it is pointless to indulge in a debate with him on the medium of instruction (MOI) issue.
Lopes had challenged Bhatikar to a public debate on December 17, on the issue of state grants to English medium primary schools.
“When so many experts over the last 65 years have recommended that primary education should take place in the mother tongue of the child, it is futile for two laymen to debate the issue in public – I consider myself a layman after retirement from the IAS. Savio Lopes is neither qualified nor has experience in the field of education. He has a diploma in food technology from a government polytechnic and has worked for many years on cruise ships,” Bhatikar has said in a press statement.
The retired IAS officer said that in comparison to Lopes, he has considerable experience in formulation and implementation of educational policies over a number of years during his career in the Indian administrative service.
“I am ready to debate the issue of grant-in-aid to English medium primary schools, but not with Savio Lopes. As an ex-IAS officer, and also one who is closely connected with the field of education in Goa, I would love to debate the issue either with Smriti Irani, who does not seem to be aware of the grant-in-aid mess in Goa, or with Manohar Parrikar who is responsible for this mess or with Laxmikant Parsekar who has failed so far to clear the mess,” Bhatikar has said.